Friday 9 October 2015

TEACCHing in New Zealand



Over the last two days I have been fortunate enough to attend a course to explore the fundamentals of Structured TEACCHING.  This is an organisational approach first piloted by Dr. Eric Schopler and Dr. Bob Reichler in the 1960s.  The programme aims to create and cultivate the development of exemplary community-based services, training programmes, and research to enhance the quality of life of individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and their families by enabling them to develop independence skills.  The fundamental goals of TEACCHing are to:

  • Make the world more meaningful and predictable
  • Increase initiation and independence
  • Increase flexibility
  • Support generalisation of skills
  • Decrease confusion and anxiety
  • Decrease behaviour problems

The TEACCH programme is blended with other strategies and curriculums to support and enhance learning and teach skills in the areas of academics, communication, independence, emotional regulation and social skills, however in essence, the TEACCH programme has its roots set in behaviourism; which if I am honest, automatically makes every bone in my body tighten as it is so far from the co-constructivst philosophy of education which I am so passionate about.  That being said, having completed the training I can honestly see how/where this could add value to my teaching programme for some of the students I teach.  I can certainly see how it would work for those Autistic students who are less able than the students in my current classroom too.  I think we are truely blessed as Educators in NZ, where we have the flexibility to examine programmes like this (and others from all around the world) and cherry-pick out those parts that excite us and we see value in, while at the same time, having the trusted autonomy to be able to leave others as 'interesting perspectives'.


Most of the students in my class have mild-moderate Autism, but are quite highly functioning - with a cognitive age of about 8-9 years.  Naturally any TEACCH strategies that I implement in my classroom could look quite different to those in other classes, and I have the flexibility to be more adaptive.  My students need help to improve their overall level of organisation as well as encouragement to increase their level of independence.  A large part of how I am going to work to achieve this is the attention that I am going to invest into considering the physical organisation of my classroom.
  • Where are the students going to sit?
  • Where will the students store their materials?  Would they be more independent/organised if they had additional space beside their desk?  How will the materials be physically organised (hanging file, folders, extra shelf, small portable drawers, notebooks, GAFE)?
  • Are areas in the classroom clearly labeled/designated for students belongings?
  • Do the students need physical barriers/boundaries to reduce auditory and visual distractions?
  • Do the students need an independent work area for certain activities/times of the day?
  • Do the students need a quiet area set up outside of the classroom?
  • What do their schedules need to look like?
  • Is there a need for physical structure in areas outside of the classroom?  Do the students need a physical structure during transitions that involve waiting, lining up, or walking through the school?
  • Have special considerations been made in the area of physical structure to address those needs in those more open, stimulating, and often less structured environemnts such as the Cafe, gym, playground and auditorium?
  • Is there any need to additional physical structure on their transportation?
  • Is there need for pre-planning needs in the area of physical structure for non-routine events such as a field trip or a fire drill?
  • ... and most importantly, have you spoken to the students about their needs and preferences?

If you had asked me a couple of days ago what I knew about TEACCHing, I fear my response would have been quite limited.  What has consistently surprised me throughout the last two days, is how many of the strategies I have already engaged with my students successfully, and without any awareness other than the willingness to try new things and see what has a positive effect for my students.  Who would have thought that creating a sensory room within the back corner office of my classroom to help two particular students in my class is actually a TEACCH physical structure principle?  And all those hours I've spent individualising "early finishers" activities, are effectively an independent work system activity, simply known by a different name.  Those colour co-ordinated table resources, labelled trays, personalised hook labels, even my reading/mathematics taskboard can all be considered elements of a TEACCH programme.


That is not to say that the last two days have been without challenge.  I believe that as effective educators we have a professional duty to ensure that what we are doing is helping to promote the most positive student outcomes possible.  I also think it is imperative that we are reflective and don't simply launch into strategies simply because we have had training in them - I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water to jump on the newest, latest craze - and this is where I have become a tad unstuck with this programme, when I think about the students I currently have.

I do not believe that each of these students needs their own individual schedule.  Most of the class are quite happy to follow my shared planning and have the skills and knowledge to be able to do this.  The one student I have who does not, has an individual schedule.  I also do not believe that students need to have individual workstations.  I think it is imperative that students develop independence, but believe that my current students also need to have the opportunity to develop their social and emotional skills, and as such work better on independent tasks within a group environment.  I was disappointed that over the two days less than 2 minutes was spent discussing how group work stations can be achieved.

The challenges for me going forward is to identify key areas in my students curriculum where there are deficits and work to fill these.  'Curriculum' in this context, is much wider than simply "reading, writing and maths" - it needs to include their communication/language skills; Social/Play/Leisure skills; Fine/Gross motor skills; Self-help/Domestic skills and their Vocational/Community skills, all while also considering each students:

  • Age
  • Skill level/readiness
  • Interests
  • Social Skills and interations with each other
  • Understanding of boundaries
Let the challenge continue!  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment